doni. Powered by Blogger.
Home » , » How Could We Live... Without Technology

How Could We Live... Without Technology

Written By Unknown on Monday, April 25, 2011 | 8:30 AM

Last Thursday evening, I was at Bugis Junction Swensen's having dinner with friends and was attempting to check-in to Foursquare, without success the entire evening. Today I read from CIO-Today website that Foursquare servers hosted at Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) was down during that period.

It's scary how online content consumers around the globe rely on a bunch of computing machines to live their lives. I can't imagine what I would do if Google servers crashed and every of my 14000 emails for the past 6 years unrecoverable.

For most people (except many of our parents), technology is becoming part of our every day lifestyle. We store all our contact information online, we keep track of our tasks on smartphones. If these equipment malfunction, if our data is lost, can our lives still go on? Would you still remember who your "friends" are if your Facebook account is deleted? Would you have other means to contact your friends or followers if Twitter is inaccessible?

What would we do if communication systems go down? No Internet, no mobile network?


Perhaps we should reduce our reliance on technology. And if we do, make sure there is a backup for important data.

So, what did I do since I couldn't access Foursquare? I put my phone aside and enjoyed my company of friends at Swensen's.

0 comments:

Post a Comment