doni. Powered by Blogger.
Home » , , » Chester Tan: COMPASS Young Composer of the Year

Chester Tan: COMPASS Young Composer of the Year

Written By Unknown on Sunday, July 10, 2011 | 11:52 PM

Last evening, I received the COMPASS Young Composer of the Year award at the 16th COMPASS Awards. I was also awarded the Top Local Instrumental Contemporary Song of the year.



It's a surprise win after 14 years of composing (from Uni days) and 6 years since I starting publishing my songs (first album in 2004).

When I embarked in writing instrumental music exclusively, I know that it's a road less travelled. But I do it because I like it, and because I believe in the music that I write. Each of them are a fragment of my emotions, my music diary.

Credit goes to my manager, Gilbert Ong, for pushing my works commercially. Thanks a heap to Publisher Richard Lim and Album Concept James Kang who conceptualised Piano Spa. Thanks to Warner Music for pushing 5 albums out in the market. With these collective efforts, I got my awards. Biggest thanks to wifey for her support all these years. Thank you for giving me time and space to develop my passions.

Like they say, Patience is A Virtue.



I performed a medley of songs at the awards presentation:
1. My Favourite Time of the Year (Top Local Instrumental Contemporary) from Piano Spa 3
2. Dance with The Clouds from Piano Spa 4
3. Shyanne from Piano Spa 4
4. Dreams of Tomorrow from Piano Spa 2



It's an honour to join the rolls of the following past winners for the Young Songwriter/Composer Award (and can only win this award once):

15th (2010) - Tay Chee Wei 郑旨为 (first non-pop recipient)
14th (2009) - Xiaohan 小寒
13th (2008) - David Tan (Electrico)
12th (2007) - Corrinne May
11th (2006) - JJ Lin 林俊杰
10th (2005) - Eric Ng 黄韵仁
9th (2004) - Lim Yeek Sinn 林毅心
8th (2002) - Tan Han Jin 陈奂仁
7th (2001) - Tanya Chua 蔡健雅
6th (2000) - Liew Chee Vun 刘志文
5th (1999) - Leong Wai Foong 梁伟丰
4th (1998) - Kevin Quah 柯贵民

For the full list of recipients of the 16th COMPASS Awards, click here.

Chester Tan's facebook page for music is at http://facebook.com/chestermusic . Chester also seeks creative passion in photography and his works are collected at http://facebook.com/chesterphoto

0 comments:

Post a Comment